Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Dear Hughes Net,

I’m so pleased to be a customer of such a forward-thinking company! I recently called to cancel my Hughes Net service, explaining to Mary Anne that I had lost my job and had come to the difficult decision to leave my home of nearly two years, uproot my family and move cross country in search of a better financial situation. She was kind enough to express sympathy, saying she understood the impact of the current global economic crisis. She then patiently and empathetically explained that since I had three months left on my two year contract, I could pay an early termination fee, could just pay what was left on the contract (plus the unpaid amount on the promotional charge for my equipment), or that I could maybe just try to find someone to take over my contract. She also expressed a sincere hope that I “get back on my feet soon”.

If I ever do recover from this blow, the same blow that has affected so many other patriotic Americans, I will invest every spare penny in Hughes Net stock. Too long have companies been crippled by compassion. I’d much prefer a company that is completely, rigidly fair about demanding customers comply with signed terms and agreements regardless of economic hardship, real or imagined. Add to this questionable business practices and the cost savings of shoddy service and substandard performance, and it can only mean increased profits. And isn’t that what it is going to take to get this country back on its feet? I applaud companies like Hughes Net for investing resources in new and inventive ways to squeezing customers for every last penny. Isn’t that what the American Dream was founded on?

Looking forward to being a partner with Hughes Net in America’s recovery,

Paul Jackson

2 comments:

  1. I haven't really lost my job...but I told them I had, hoping to get out of the last few months of the contract. Good on them for not seeing through the lie! Won't stop me from a little passive aggresive self righteousness though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change to America's way of life was exactly what Obama's election platform was based on - this is a prime example of looking for him to offer "change". You need to contact him, get on the stimulus bus and have him get Hughes to retire your bill or at the very least provide $100,000 in bailout.

    ReplyDelete