Saturday, May 2, 2009

Want a bag?

So I just returned from a weeklong business trip to Boston. Since I was staying at a Marriott Residence Inn with a "full kitchen", I stopped on my way from the airport to get some grub for the week. I found a "Stop and Save" which was a cross between a full-blown grocery store and a large convenience store. As I was being checked out the clerk said "do you want a bag"? I thought no, you idiot, I'll just pour the milk in my shirt pocket, put all the eggs in my mouth, stuff the tomatoes in my pockets, sit on the frozen TV dinners, make the oatmeal right here and pack it in to a ball I can bounce down the road, etc. I think she read my mind because as I stood there with this obvious quizzical look on my face, she said "first time here, right"? She said I had a choice of buying a large bag for 10 cents or a small bag for 5 cents – but they were re-useable!!! After quickly remembering my geometry, physics, and trigonometry lessons and doing the math I decided to go for the more economical price/volume big bag. One lesson to learn here is getting ready to “do the math” as your daily life will change under the new Obama world order. Or maybe the lesson is Boston sucks – which was born out many times during the week.

1 comment:

  1. No one is going to make a "Poppa's Got A Brand New Bag" comment? Really?

    ReplyDelete