Does anyone have any thoughts on which would be better: Getting an expensive lawyer that I can't afford, or filing for divorce myself using an online service lik https://www.legalzoom.com/
Can you and your spouse agree on how to divide property and resolve any child-related issues? If so you can file an uncontested divorce.
An uncontested divorce does not require an attorney and moves much faster through the court system, saving you time, money and stress. In many cases, you may not even need to appear before a judge.
I can only share my experience based on Illinois law.
"We" hired an attorney for our uncontested divorce. Actually, Ava hired an attorney who translated the agreement we reached into legalese and filed the paperwork with the court. I signed a waiver that allowed me to skip the court date, otherwise I would have had to at least be in the courtroom.
Even though I didn't have a lawyer of my own I did consult with one, going over issues related to the terms Ava and I discussed.
Our situation was made easier by not having kids and custody issues, and by having agreed to the terms related to division of property.
That said, the lawyer without question was working for Ava. I made the stupid mistake of not reading the agreement carefully before I signed it, only later to realize the language had been skewed in her favor.
I don't know anything about legalzoom or like services, so I can't offer an opinion. I can say sometimes you don't save any money by saving money.
Maybe you can take a combination approach? Is there a lawyer in your Ward or one you know and trust (as much as you can trust a lawyer)? Maybe you could have a consultation to make sure your bases are covered, and then file through a service?
I really feel for you, Catherine. (I assume it's Catherine writing this post!) I know from experience how unpleasant the experience can be, even if you know it's for the best and are excited about having it over with. We're praying for you and for Joe and for the kids.
What is expensive ?
ReplyDeleteCan you and your spouse agree on how to divide property and resolve any child-related issues? If so you can file an uncontested divorce.
An uncontested divorce does not require an attorney and moves much faster through the court system, saving you time, money and stress. In many cases, you may not even need to appear before a judge.
Otherwise looks like the "expensive" route.
What is the status of your last "child support" action? Did you go back and get a re-do?
ReplyDeleteI can only share my experience based on Illinois law.
ReplyDelete"We" hired an attorney for our uncontested divorce. Actually, Ava hired an attorney who translated the agreement we reached into legalese and filed the paperwork with the court. I signed a waiver that allowed me to skip the court date, otherwise I would have had to at least be in the courtroom.
Even though I didn't have a lawyer of my own I did consult with one, going over issues related to the terms Ava and I discussed.
Our situation was made easier by not having kids and custody issues, and by having agreed to the terms related to division of property.
That said, the lawyer without question was working for Ava. I made the stupid mistake of not reading the agreement carefully before I signed it, only later to realize the language had been skewed in her favor.
I don't know anything about legalzoom or like services, so I can't offer an opinion. I can say sometimes you don't save any money by saving money.
Maybe you can take a combination approach? Is there a lawyer in your Ward or one you know and trust (as much as you can trust a lawyer)? Maybe you could have a consultation to make sure your bases are covered, and then file through a service?
I really feel for you, Catherine. (I assume it's Catherine writing this post!) I know from experience how unpleasant the experience can be, even if you know it's for the best and are excited about having it over with. We're praying for you and for Joe and for the kids.