Saturday, February 21, 2009

First Ever JFB Gold Coin Giveaway!

I was at the bank today cashing a check (a rare occurrence...who uses cash anymore?) when a glint of gold caught my eye. I didn't realize the US Mint is releasing a line of Presidential Gold Coins, featuring four releases a year. I picked up several mint condition Martin Van Buren's today just because I thought they were cool.

So here's the giveaway part: Simply post a reply to this message offering your opinion as to why Martin Van Buren is coin-worthy, and I'll send you one of these legal tender one dollar coins!

Include in your reply the name of the president you would most like to see on a gold coin and why, and I'll include a BONUS coin! That's two coins just for participating on the family blog!

I think I'd like to see the George W Bush one dollar coin, although they're already devalued to fifty cents. The Barack Obama gold coin is already valued at $1.50 however based on speculation that they'll almost immediately jump in value. But with the Obama coin, no one is going to the banks to get them...everyone is waiting for the government to just send them out. (See how much fun this contest could be? There are TONS of jokes out there just with the mental image of keeping the Clinton coin in your pocket!)

Offer is open to immediate Jackson family members, their current spouses (Ava is excluded...she has enough of my dollars already) and their children.

Paul
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Pops -

    The best that can be said of Martin Van Buren was that he was the first president to be born an American citizen and dressed fastidiously. Oh, and as Andrew Jackson's Secretary of State and then Vice President, he was a key figure in building the organizational structure for Jacksonian democracy. (For a copy send a self-addressed stamped envelope to me and I’ll tell you what is democracy around here – like it or not).
    I think he tried to teach correct principles but no one seems to be listening today. He was a key organizer of the Democratic Party (actually that alone would be enough to stamp his coin out of re-cycled socialist hides) and he also was one of the central figures in developing modern political organizations. The country was prosperous, but less than three months later the panic of 1837 punctured the prosperity. In 1837 the panic began. Hundreds of banks and businesses failed. Thousands lost their lands. For about five years the United States was wracked by the worst depression thus far in its history. (Sound familiar?)

    BONUS Answer - "I like Ike" Dwight D Eisenhower because he was born in Texas (1890). Unlike our current President he emphasized a balanced budget in domestic policy. I think he coined the ultimate Beauty Pageant answer as he “concentrated on maintaining world peace”. Even though he beat me to my aspiring title, anybody that can be called “Supreme Commander” (during the Second World War) is OK by me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So when are you going to ship my coinage to me ?
    Pops

    ReplyDelete